The main focus of Geoscience under Remote Sensing and GIS (application areas) is to cater the need of the NE Region by using core Geological knowledge in combination with latest technology. And also to provide professional training, inputs and support to state (user) departments dealing with Geo-sciences applications, such as mineral exploration, engineering geological survey for tunnels and dams, road alignment, GNSS Surveying and groundwater exploration etc. Number of research and operational projects in different fields of geological sciences have successfully executed & completed. It has also completed no. of user specific projects of various state & central government organization. The thrust areas includes Landslide, Environmental Hazards, Mine Mapping, Ground Water, Road alignment, Active Tectonic and Crustal Deformation, Earthquake Precursors, SAR interferometry, hyperspectral and thermal image analysis.
National Mission ParticipationInvolved in various national projects of societal importance initiated by ISRO/DOS. Few of the completed projects are
• Landslide hazard zonation along Shillong-Silchar-Aizawl National Highway Corridor
• Groundwater Prospects Mapping
• National Geomorphology and Lineament Mapping (NGLM)
• Seasonal Landslide Inventory Mapping (SLIM),
• Groundwater Quality Mapping -under national rural drinking water mission
User SupportProvides supports & guidance to government departments, NGOs on requirements of space technology inputs in their respective planning and developmental activities. It actively carries out user specific projects based on the requirement. Some of the user projects are:
• Hazard Risk Vulnerability Assessment (HRVA) Guwahati City, Silchar, Dibrugarh Towns and Dhemaji District, Assam
• Road Alignment Planning from Dumro to Same Basti, Upper Siang and Lower Dibang Valley Districts, Arunachal Pradesh
• Landslide Hazard Zonation and reservoir rim stability studies for SLP, Arunachal Pradesh
• Feasibility study for a proposed bridge across Lohit River near Dhola, Assam
• Geospatial inputs for development of Meghalaya Zoo near Umtru River, Ri-Bhoi District, Meghalaya
In-HouseActively engaged in R & D and Technology Demonstration projects as an in-house activities in order to achieve indebt knowledge and understand various requirements where space technology can be effectively utilized for societal benefits. Some of the important activities are highlighted below:
• Road network gap assessment and alignment for new roads in Ri-Bhoi district, Meghalaya (Completed)
• Heavy metal Contamination in Coal Mining areas of Jaintia Hills District, Meghalaya - A Remote Sensing and GIS Perspective (Ongoing)
• GPS based TEC for Earthquake Precursor for understanding Seismicity in Shillong Plateau(Ongoing)
• Active fault mapping for identification of potential deformation zones in NER (Ongoing).
Future InitiativesLooking forward to study various other aspects of space technology applications that may utilized as an essential inputs in disaster mitigation planning. Some of the proposed activities are as follows:
• Development of cost effective sensors to generate site specific early warning of Landslide(s)
• Active tectonics and Crustal deformation study in NER
• Landslide Susceptibility Mapping for development of Rainfall Induced Landslide Early Warning System (LEWS) in NER
• Industrial hazard assessment for offsite emergency planning & management of major accident hazard (MAH) units in NER.