The North Eastern Space Applications Centre (NESAC), a joint initiative of Department of Space (DOS) and the North Eastern Council (NEC) is a society registered under the Meghalaya Societies Registration Act, 1983. The Centre has provided more than 20 years of dedicated service to the eight states of North Eastern Region (NER) of India using space science and technology.
The major objectives of the Centre are:
- To provide an operational remote sensing and geographic information system aided natural resource information base to support activities on development / management of natural resources and infrastructure planning in the region.
- To provide operational satellite communication applications services in the region in education, health care, disaster management support, and developmental communication.
- To take up research in space and atmospheric science area and establish an instrumentation hub and networking with various academic institutions of NER.
- To enable single window delivery of all possible space based support for disaster management.
- To set up a regional level infrastructure for capacity building in the field of geospatial technology.